Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Finding our groove

There are some things, maybe a lot of things, I have learned over the past year and a half. But, I often feel like I haven't gained ground or figured out much about how to have a successful, peaceful and stress free daily schedule. I am getting better but still don't have it figured out exactly what works best for me. I am starting tom realize it's about learning and growing in this journey, not necessarily arriving at an 'I finally have it all figured out' point.

I sway a bit between organized structure and go-with-the-flow flexibility, which is probably what causes me frustration. My desire is that we have enough flexibility to take advantage of special moments and enjoy each other, yet enough structure that we have scheduled teaching/learning time.

Lately, I have been challenged to view distractions or disturbances as opportunitiies.
*Like, when the younger kids are getting impatient that I am doing school with the kids, instead of being frustrated and annoyed, trying to stop and spend time with them.
*Morning seems to be our prime time for getting any school work done, so if we have appts or activities in the morning, we all do better letting 'school' go for the day and spend time together.

I am identifying situations that put more strain on our days than others and not be in such a hurry to 'get it done', but to remember it is about my kids. I am not great at it yet, but I am recognizing more of what works for us and trying to hone in on that.
It is extremely important to me that education and learning are a high priority, but it is more important to me that our days and our relationships are not stained to achieve this.

No comments: